Deborah Bosley, The Plain Language Group, Professor Emerita of technical writing
UNC Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Deborah S. Bosley is Principal in The Plain Language Group and Professor Emerita of technical writing at UNC Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. As an international expert in the use of plain language, she has spent the past 20 years working in technical and financial regulatory environments helping attorneys, corporations, government agencies, and non-profits create technical and financial written information that exceeds compliance standards and that is easy for people to understand and use. Using evidence-based writing and design strategies, training tools, usability testing, and research results, she helps Fortune 100/500 companies and government agencies achieve a number of critical goals including:
• creating consumer-friendly, plain language information
• increasing the writing abilities of employees
• decreasing call-ins that waste time and dollars
• meeting compliance standards
• exceeding legal and regulatory requirements
• avoiding liability from confused documentation
She is the President of the Plain Language International Network (PLAIN), serves on the board of the Center for Plain Language in Washington, D.C., and is a Research Fellow at the Communication Research Institute in Australia.
As the author of three books and more than a dozen articles, she has written for or been interviewed by The Wall Street Journal, This Weekend radio Broadcast, The Boston Globe, Investment News, HealthLeader Media, Entrepreneur Online, Employee Benefits News, and other print and social media. She has won a number of awards including:
• Jay R. Gould Award from the Society of Technical Communication for Excellence in Teaching.
• Best Material Created for a Client for a Plain Language Style Guide from the Association of Professional, and
• Turn Around Award from the Center of Plain Language with J.P. Morgan Chase for their credit card agreement.
Her coporate clients include: